Cannellini beans are often the bean of choice in Tuscan cooking. They are related to the kidney beans and resemble them in shape and size. Creamy white in color with a mild, creamy texture, Cannellini beans have a slightly nutty flavor.
Fagioli all’Uccelletto is a typical regional recipe of Tuscany, widespread in the Florence area. An exquisite dish prepared with just a few ingredients and can be served for the whole family, even for those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. Like all traditional recipes, this one has many variations. We can prepare it with the beans we like and, if we want to spice it up, we can add a whole chilli pepper to the initial sauté or a little chilli powder.
Ingredients for 4 people:
– 250g cannellini beans
– 400g tomato puree
– 1 pinch bicarbonate
– 2 garlic cloves
– Extra virgin olive oil to taste
– Sage to taste
– Salt & black pepper to taste
– Before starting the preparation of the recipe, the beans must be soaked in a bowl of warm water with a pinch of baking soda for at least 8 hours.After the resting time, let’s rinse them, drain them and pour them into a pot of water. We cook for 35 minutes from when it starts boiling.
– Drain the beans and set aside a few ladles of cooking water.Brown the whole garlic and the sage leaves in the olive oil for a couple of minutes, then pour the beans into the pan and cook for a minute, stirring gently using a wooden or silicone spoon.
– We also pour the tomato puree, give it a few stirs and cook for 20 minutes with the lid on. If the sauce dries up, add a little of the water from the beans that we had kept aside.
– At the end of cooking, the beans should be soft but intact. Season with salt and pepper, then complete with chopped parsley and serve our beans all’uccelletto hot.
Pulses & Grains